by Richard H. Frank and Jayne D. Frank
News reports state that President Obama is about to announce his candidacy to run for re-election in the 2012 national Presidential elections. The announcement is purported to be coming to the electorate in the form of a video that will highlight the accomplishments of his Administration over the past two years.
Somehow the Obama spin doctors will attempt to convince Americans that the politics of “hope and change,” coupled with the greatest level of Government transparency in history, has saved this nation from certain disaster. The Obama “war chest” (campaign funding) is reportedly approaching $1 billion that will be spent inundating the public with a nonstop barrage of political ads proclaiming his Administration’s accomplishments. A taped video will have a number of advantages for him: 1) He can immediately place this on Facebook and other social media sites and seduce the young uninformed voters that foolishly voted for him in large numbers in 2008 predicated on undefined “Hope and Change”, 2) It will enable his “handlers” to get his body language right on tape and ensure that any lies are edited out, and 3) It will once again make sure he is only speaking off his teleprompters to avoid any extemporaneous answers to hard questions. You can expect the following myths to be the cornerstone of President Obama’s Presidential Re-election campaign:
- The Affordable Health Care Law. Arguably “Unconstitutional” in that it forces every American to buy insurance or face a fine under this law.
- Stimulus spending that has saved or created up to 3 million American jobs
- Nationalization of GM and Chrysler in order to preserve the American auto industry
- TARP spending that saved the American financial system from the brink of disaster
- His declaration that 85% of the Nation’s energy needs will be provided by green technology in 2035
Each of these programs has been presented as being the most transparent in our nation’s history. Transparency is a most interesting term for use by a politician. The American Heritage Dictionary uses some of the following definitions to describe how the term might be applied: 1) The quality or state of being transparent; guileless, candid, 2) Guileless refers to being free from treachery, cunning, deceit or trickery, 3) Candid means straightforward, free from prejudice and impartial.
Notice none of the above definitions is so crass so as to use the term “liar,” and therefore allows politicians to walk the very narrow line between the “truth and nothing but the truth” and outright “lying.”
A closer look at the Obama Administration’s signature accomplishments in view of transparency shows the following statements do not meet the definition for transparency:
The Affordable Health Care Law does not or will not achieve the President’s proclamations as follows:
- If you like your plan you can keep it
- The average family will save $2500/yr
- The plan will insure 30 million currently uninsured
- Services will not be rationed and fraud and waste will be eliminated
- The plan is fully paid for and will not add to the deficit
Stimulus spending has saved or created up to 3 million jobs.
- If 3 million jobs were saved or created and we spent $816 billion in stimulus funding, each job cost the American taxpayer $272,000.
- There were no shovel-ready projects according to a recent admission by Barack Obama.
- Private sector jobs were not created by stimulus spending but Government-sector jobs increased by 1 million which must be paid by private sector taxation which experienced no growth and contracted by more than six million over the past two years.
The American automotive industry has been saved by Obama’s forced bankruptcy and redistribution of assets between Government, the unions and special interests.
- GM has repaid all the Government loans ahead of schedule and is a monumental success. Congressional oversight reports it estimates the taxpayer will be out $25 billion and when sweetheart tax exemptions are included we may expect the total cost to taxpayers to be $84 billion dollars. If this equals success for the Obama Administration, I would hate to know what constitutes failure.
TARP spending saved the nation’s financial system from certain disaster.
- Major banks were bailed out by taxpayers with the promise that troubled assets would be addressed through refinancing debt or mortgage modifications.
- The real estate market has collapsed and banks are doing nothing to support individual home loan modification programs as touted by the Obama Administration.
- Thirteen percent of residences are vacant or abandoned across the nation with values forecast to plunge an additional 25% over the coming year, bringing down the average home value and destroying equity for most of the remaining occupied homes for decades to come.
- Currently more than six million homes are either in or facing foreclosures.
- Continued deterioration in the real estate market caused by Government over-manipulation may be the precurser to a double-dip recession.
Green technology to account for 85% of the Nation’s energy needs by 2035 is unrealistic and unachievable since there is no known technology other than nuclear power with the capacity to replace fossil fuels. Obama and his Administration has been anti-development of fossil fuels in the United States through regulations, and moratoriums against exploration in Anwar as well as offshore on the Continental Shelf. He has continually circumvented the will of the Congress and the Will of the People with the creation of more than 35 Czars charged with creation and implementation of onerous regulations that stifle energy independence and ultimately economic growth for the country.
The past two years under the Obama Administration has presented the potential opponents with a plethora of video sound bites with which to mount a effective campaign against his re-election. President Obama’s and the Democratic Party’s own words create the best case against their re-election in 2012. All the soaring rhetoric and empty promises of hope and change will not erase the reality of his record and pain being felt across this country.
Nonetheless, there will remain a segment of the electorate that will continue to drink the Koolaid of mutual destruction of the nation and vote for Barack Obama.
Unfortunately, these uninformed individuals have no knowledge or understanding of the values and principles upon which this great country was built.
The greatest gift Obama could give his Party and the nation would be to follow the good sense shown by Lyndon Johnson and change his upcoming announcement to say that “he would not seek, nor would he accept, the nomination of his Party for President of the United States,” for a second term.
Then again, we can dream, can’t we?
Filed under: 2012 Presidential Vote, Banking and Finance, Budget and Taxes, Free enterprise system, Health Care Legislation, Jobs, The President, Uncategorized | Tagged: 2012, Democratic Party, economic disaster, Millenials, Obama on Facebook, Obama re-election, Organizing for America, transparency, young voters | Leave a comment »